Friday, January 6, 2012

The Biggest Cancer Risk at Your Desk

By Karen Cicero for Completely You

OK, we barely know each other yet, but I’m hoping you’ll go along with this: Can you please stand up? Really, I’m serious.

A couple of days ago, I was parked at my home-office desk reading the daily health news online, and I clicked the headline “Is Sitting Too Long A Major Cancer Risk?” I assumed it was a clever way to talk about couch potatoes, but no -- it was about regular exercisers like me (and maybe you too) who stay glued to their desk chairs for hours on end. The article concluded that “excessive sitting” was linked to an estimated 100,000 cases of breast and colon cancers a year. I had to know more so I called Christine Friedenreich, Ph.D., a scientist in Canada who had helped put together the conference on the topic for the American Institute for Cancer Research.

I told her that I fit in 30 minutes of some kind of exercise every morning (a brisk walk around my neighborhood, a hula-hooping contest with my 9-year-old, a couple of rounds of tennis on Wii Fit) but for the next 8 hours, I get up from my desk two to three times tops. I answer email sitting down. I write stories sitting down. I talk on the phone sitting down. Heck, I even moved my printer a couple of weeks ago so I could reach it by just sliding over my desk chair. Lazy, I know.

Dr. Friedenreich confirmed that even though I exercise daily, I’m still at an extra risk for cancer because of prolonged sitting. (Small note of comfort: She did say I’d be even at greater risk if I didn’t work out at all.)
“The research so far shows that prolonged sitting raises levels of C-reactive protein, insulin and other biomarkers for cancer,” she explained. Ack. I followed up: “How often do I have to get up?” For an answer, she referred me to Neville Owen, Ph.D., of Australia's Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute -- and I shot off an email to him. Although he cautioned that the research was still in its early stages, he said “it would be a good idea to stand up at least every 20 minutes and take a slightly longer break and walk around for a minute or two, every hour.”

The next day, I tried to follow his advice. I blew it in 20 minutes flat. I got so caught up in editing a story, 40 minutes passed since I logged onto the computer. (Yes, I know I could set a timer, but the thought of something beeping at me every 20 minutes is stressful.) As the day went on, I did get better at taking mini-breaks but still only averaged about once an hour.

Then I regrouped. What if I didn’t worry about how much time elapsed, but rather designated a few things to do standing up from now on? So the next day, I stood up to answer the phone and stayed on my feet unless I needed to take notes. I busted out the iPad and checked my email upright. I moved my wireless printer to another room so I’d have to walk to get the papers. By day’s end, I was up from my desk at least 20 times -- and my work didn’t suffer because of it. In fact, I actually had a lot more energy at the end of the day rather than muddling through that 3 p.m. slump. Will I still be standing tomorrow? Yep -- but I will be wearing more comfortable shoes!


What’s the longest you go without getting up from your desk? Write me below or tweet @Completely_You

Photo Credit: @iStockphoto.com/courtneyk


About Karen Cicero:
I’m Completely You’s “Need to Know” blogger. A health journalist and magazine editor with more than 15 years of experience, I’ve contributed to such publications as Prevention, Self and Health, and have edited the dental column for Heart & Soul magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment